DUI/DWI ALCOHOL AND DUI DRUG(.08 BAC) AND DUI DRUG • INCLUDING AGGRAVATED (+.15 BAC) • MULTIPLE OFFENSES AND IGNITION INTERLOCK PERMIT (IIP)
With the changes to the Ignition Interlock and Nebraska state DUI laws over the past decade, you will certainly want an experienced attorney on your side, particularly someone that appreciates the nuances involved with reviewing and challenging DUI charges in a court of law.
- DUI and 1st ALR = You may drive immediately with the Ignition Interlock
- Multiple DUI and 2nd (or more) ALR = You must wait 45 days before becoming eligible for the Ignition Interlock Permit
- Refusal of breath or blood test = You must wait 90 days before becoming eligible for the Ignition Interlock Permit
Steps to Obtain the IIP:
- Call the Financial Responsibility Department of the Department of Motor Vehicles in Lincoln, Nebraska at 402-471-3985; choose option #4, this is to verify that you are eligible to obtain the IIP.
- Follow this link to the DMV website and print out and complete the IIP application https://dmv.nebraska.gov/sites/dmv.nebraska.gov/files/doc/fr/guidance-docs/FR_Application_for_Nebraska_IIP.pdf
- Schedule an installation of the Ignition Interlock device with an authorized business in this state.
- The FRD of the DMV requires the two documents from steps 3 and 4 (in most cases) to complete the application process for the IIP. The first is the application form and the second is the installation certificate (this is given to you after the installation of the device by the technicians).
- After the installation is completed, fax or mail in the two above documents to the FRD of the DMV at 402-471-8288. Typically, the installer will handle this for you.
- The DMV will take a couple of days to process the application and certificate of installation. You should call to make sure that you have been processed and approved at 402-471-3985, choose option #4. Do not waste your time going to your local DMV without getting verification from the DMV in Lincoln.
- Go to your local DMV location that has driver’s license services and obtain your new IIP for a fee.
**Please note that if you do not obtain the IIP from the DMV then the Court may order that you have the Interlock installed as a part of any sentence you may receive following a DUI conviction. Also, your vehicle plates and registration may be temporarily impounded by the Court.
16820 Frances Street,
Omaha, NE 68130
Phone: (402) 932-0290
Fax: (402) 932-0301