If you or someone close to you has been involved in an automobile accident, you probably think that the only time you need to contact an attorney is when you are not at fault, have been seriously injured, and the other at-fault party is refusing to pay for your medical bills. However, this is just one instance where hiring an Omaha personal injury attorney is beneficial when it comes to auto accidents.
The truth of the matter is, a personal injury attorney can help in a number of different automobile accident situations whether you are at fault or not. Having a professional who can defend your rights, get the facts straight, and ensure you are being treated fairly cannot be stressed highly enough when an auto accident happens. Here’s what you need to know about when to hire a lawyer.
Hiring an Omaha Personal Injury Lawyer: What Types of Auto Accidents Qualify?
Generally speaking, unless the accident was a small fender bender where no one was hurt and fault is obvious (and acknowledged by the person at fault and his/her insurance agency), you should consult with an attorney. He or she will review the case and tell you if you need representation. When you hire a personal injury attorney, you get an expert on your side who knows the law and will act as your advocate throughout the case. This can help you recoup the most compensation for your losses and ensure you do not assume any liability you shouldn’t.
Circumstances in Which Consultations with a Personal Injury Attorney is a MUST-DO
There are some car accident circumstances where you will almost always benefit from hiring a personal injury attorney. They include when:
- No one will assume fault for the accident.
- A death has resulted from the accident.
- Serious injury involving hospitalization results from the accident.
- Pedestrians, bystanders, passengers, or other autos have been damaged or hurt in the accident.
- An accident has occurred in a construction area.
- You have low liability limits.
- Believed that the police report is inaccurate.
- You don’t have insurance.
- Your insurer involves his or her own attorney.
- Another party in the accident involves an attorney.
Beneficial Circumstances When Consulting with a Personal Injury Attorney
There are also circumstances where it would be in your best interests to contact a personal injury attorney. We always encourage those who are on the fence to err on the side of caution. We offer free consultations, so it costs you nothing if you meet with one of our attorneys and we decide you would not benefit from representation. Here are some examples of situations in which you should seek out advice from an Omaha personal injury attorney:
- If the fault is in question.
- You have a settlement offer and want to know if it’s fair.
- When you are confused with the terms of your insurance policy.
- You’re unsure if another party involved in the accident was insured.
- You are unclear about your rights.
- When you are presented with paperwork that is confusing.
- You’re not sure how to negotiate with another party’s insurer.
- When you’re unsure if your own insurer is looking out for your best interests.
Remember, seeking representation is your right. If you have been involved in a car accident, whether you are at fault or not, you should always speak with an Omaha personal injury attorney if you’ve suffered injuries, have medical bills, or have experienced a loss of wages. You should also consult an attorney if you experience any of the circumstances listed above.
At LKW, we are always on your side and will ensure you are treated fairly after an automobile accident. Contact us today for a free consultation.